Beginning at the End

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

I’ve been toying around with the idea of a BayHawks blog for more than a year—before the team was even named the BayHawks. As soon as I heard professional basketball was coming to Erie, I felt the need to document it. And I managed to attend a couple of home games, including courtside behind the bench against the Dakota Wizards.

Still, this URL and design sat here, a blank canvas in waiting. I didn’t want to jump in and fall short. I didn’t want the debut of this blog to be anything less than spectacular. Then I realized I was running out of time. The first season of Erie BayHawks basketball was nearing its end, and I still hadn’t posted an entry.

A few weeks ago, I did some informal Google search research to see if I was too late. Aside from Erie Times-News columnist Duane Rankin’s Give and Go, I found no Erie BayHawks blog to speak of. In this day and age, it seems crazy for any professional team, NBDL or otherwise, not to have a presence in the blogosphere.

And so it is in the spirit of being a basketball fan and a writer that I officially launch Blog Talk BayHawk today, April 14.

To answer your questions: No, I have no official connection to the Erie BayHawks, the D-League or anyone in the organization or their affiliates. I’m just a basketball fan who likes to write.

And yes, I realize that I’m launching on the same day that Erie’s inaugural season could potentially come to an end. However, I’m following the motto that it’s better late than never.

So, with that spirit of optimism in mind, let me wrap up this initial blog post with three simple tenets of hopefulness that I hope to carry as this blog’s mission.

  1. I hope this blog’s journey will coincide with the journey of the Erie BayHawks through the 2009 D-League Playoffs, but if a championship is not in the cards this season, I hope this blog’s journey will continue along with the BayHawks for many seasons to come.
  2. I hope this blog will become a place for fans of the Erie BayHawks, the NBDL and professional basketball in general to read and share information and opinions
  3. I hope this blog will be fun, entertaining and informative but also courteous, respectful and responsible.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
May 4, 2009 at 9:00 PM  

Hey Matt,
Just so you know, there is another D-League blog, RidiculousUpside.com. Come join us, or shoot me an email - RidiculousScott (at) Gmail (dot) com.

Anonymous said...
May 4, 2009 at 9:00 PM  

Hey Matt,
Just so you know, there is another D-League blog, RidiculousUpside.com. Come join us, or shoot me an email - RidiculousScott (at) Gmail (dot) com.

Post a Comment

About this blog/blogger

Blog Talk BayHawk is an unofficial Erie BayHawks blog covering the NBA D-League. It features opinions and information about the NBADL and the Erie BayHawks. Blog Talk BayHawk is written from a basketball fan’s perspective to fill In the gaps left by professional journalists’ coverage of BayHawks basketball and the Erie professional basketball scene.

Matt Hubert is a 25-year-old writer and basketball fanatic born and raised in Erie, Pa. He graduated from Mercyhurst College in 2007 with a bachelor's degree in English and a dual concentration in writing and creative writing. Matt's not wavering from his stance as a lifelong Los Angeles Lakers fan, but he will cover the BayHawks' NBA affiliates in Cleveland and Toronto when it makes sense to do so throughout the year.

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Facebook

    A Proud Erie Blogger